The Rick Hansen Institute is a Canadian-based not-for-profit organization that drives innovation in spinal cord injury research and care. By facilitating an international network of researchers, healthcare professionals, entrepreneurs, investors, people with SCI and their supporters, we strive to improve the lives of people living with SCI in Canada and around the world. The Rick Hansen Institute is proudly accredited by Imagine Canada.
Reporting to the Chief Executive Officer, the Finance Director will be responsible for the strategic direction and management of the RHI finance function. This position oversees day-to-day financial activities and controls financial resources to ensure that all financial transactions, systems and procedures comply with laws, regulations and accounting standards.
The Finance Director builds productive relationships and serves as RHI’s financial representative with the Audit and Finance Committee and Board of Directors, partner institutions, auditors, investment managers, senior government representatives and other diverse stakeholders.
The Finance Director is a member of the senior management team and provides all units with counsel and advice related to RHI’s ongoing strategic initiatives, instilling financial discipline across the organization.
- Participate in the development of strategic business and/or operational plans and direct related plan implementation from a financial perspective.
- Responsible for financial reporting to the Audit and Finance Committee, Board, funding bodies under the terms of associated agreements, donors and public bodies, including the CRA, as appropriate.
- Ensure a full accountability, tracking and reporting system is in place to manage commitments with key stakeholders.
- Collaborate with resource development and commercialisation leads on revenue generation strategies and proposals.
- Identify issues, analyze and develop recommendations to facilitate strategic and operational decisions.
- Provide oversight and planning for effective financial management.
- Lead the annual budget process, forecasting and projections.
- Lead the annual financial statement and government audits.
- Direct and oversee the payroll function, grants function, third party contracts and insurance requirements.
- Manage investment portfolios, make recommendations on investment strategies and monitor performance.
- Ensure compliance with laws, regulations and accounting standards.
- Responsible for timely submission of tax returns, administer payment of all applicable taxes and certify to the Board that all tax filings and related payments have been made.
- Responsible for maintenance of accreditation under Imagine Canada.
- Ensure ongoing evaluation of technology relating to financial reporting systems, including provision of IT maintenance and support agreements.
- Develop and implement policies and procedures, including organisational risk management, and ensure compliance by RHI employees.
- Responsible for the internal control framework and testing to ensure integrity of financial information.
- Manage relationships with funding bodies, banking institutions, investment managers and insurance brokers.
- Provide leadership in building, mentoring and monitoring the performance of the finance team.
- Responsible for record retention in accordance with GAAP, CRA and the terms of funding agreements.
- Perform other related duties in keeping with the purpose and accountabilities of the position.
The ideal candidate will have:
- University degree in a relevant discipline and completion of an accredited Accounting program.
- CPA designation plus a minimum of 6 years of related post designation experience in a financial leadership position.
- Experience in a leadership position reporting to internal and external stakeholders.
- Experience in healthcare, social services, a charity, or a related industry sector.
- Extensive knowledge of Canadian GAAP and CRA policies and guidance.
- Experience with MS office including strong Excel skills and familiarity with enterprise systems would be beneficial.
- Experience with Microsoft Dynamics Navision an asset.
- Strong leadership skills with the ability to balance strategic oversight and tactical execution.
- Ability to thrive in an organisation that champions change and innovation.
- Ability to work creatively, resourcefully and collaboratively with the leadership group and become a trusted business advisor.
- Effective interpersonal, oral and written communication skills.
- Effective presentation skills.
- Effective organizational and project management skills.
- High level of tact and diplomacy.
- Superior attention to detail.
- Ability to prioritize and meet multiple deadlines.
- Ability to work both independently and within a team environment.
Interested and qualified candidates can apply here by March 31, 2018. While we thank all applicants for their interest, only short-listed candidates will be contacted.
For more information on the Rick Hansen Institute, please visit our website at www.rickhanseninstitute.org.